One of the major routes to raising standards and achieving a level of good practice across the profession is through the development of National Occupational Standards for parking.
Many of our members have been involved in this very lengthy process and have helped a great deal by exploring the range of services offered by the parking profession, and how good practice should look. The result is a full suite of standards covering over 100 functions undertaken at various levels across the profession.
Through the creation of our occupational and functional maps, we were able to identify 8 very clear areas in which we as a profession operate. These are deemed to be as follows:
1. Determine and plan for strategic parking requirements
2. Create and maintain parking provision
3. Manufacture and supply parking equipment, fixtures and systems
4. Provide and manage parking and related services
5. Establish parking restrictions and address infringements of regulations/rules
6. Deliver processes and provide information and advice
7. Maintain and enhance operational effectiveness
8. Manage and develop teams and individuals
Below each of these functions is a lower level description of what is involved. From this, we have been able to write a set of standards for each of the functions or activities carried out in achieving the functions. These are all viewable by clicking on the relevant title above. This will take you to a PDF outlining the functions under each heading, giving you access to the standards for each function. Alternatively, you can browse all standards by searching the national occupational standards directory.
NOS can be used in many ways, underpinning success and good practice. If you want more information on how to use NOS to get the best out of your teams, your business, or yourself, please visit the links below for more information.
Please click here for general frequently asked questions.
Please click here for information relevant to employers and businesses.
Please click here for information relevant to employees and individuals.