The BPA recognises that its activities have an impact on the environment, in particular employee transport, member events and the activities of our offices. This policy describes how BPA mitigates these impacts, is committed to pollution prevention and legal compliance and strives for and sets targets to achieve continual environmental improvement.
The BPA and its staff should, when planning meetings or other travel, take into consideration the environmental impact of the journey and:
- Only arrange a meeting requiring travel if absolutely necessary. Use telephone or video conferencing if possible
- Reduce the use of single occupancy car travel
- Where practical, use public transport, cycling or walking
When planning Events the BPA should:
- Keep their environmental impact in mind.
- Choose venues with convenient location to public transport options
- Avoid printing agendas and hand-outs, unless necessary, and provide information to delegates online
The BPA and its staff should take the environment into consideration and ensure that:
- Energy and Water usage and Waste generation is regularly monitored
- Waste materials are segregated and recycled
- Documents are only printed where necessary and double sided, black and white printing is set as default
- PCs, printers and other electrical devices should be switched off overnight and when not in use, and should not be left in standby mode
When sourcing items the BPA should:
- Consider the environmental performance of companies in our supply chain, and wherever financially viable give preference to products and suppliers with least environmental impact.
- Ensure that redundant items are disposed of with the environment in mind, reusing and recycling where possible.
- Ensure Company Vehicles have CO2 emissions of 119gkm or less.
This Policy is reviewed annually and updated to reflect new initiatives and developments. Employees are included in the process of identifying and implementing new environmental initiatives. Further details on individual policy items can be forwarded on request.